Driving in the EU after Brexit

Now the UK has officially left the EU, we have put together a guide to help our drivers understand the changes and implications of driving in Europe. If you’re driving anywhere in Europe, you’ll now need some additional documentation including a UK sticker and you’ll also need a passport with at least six months’ validity to enter Europe.

Read on for more information about the requirements.

VE103B certificates

As a reminder, UK drivers who drive a leased or salary sacrifice vehicle will continue to need a ‘Vehicle on Hire Certificate’ (VE103B) for driving abroad which Tusker can provide upon request. With more border checks expected, it’s important to have this documentation available in your car. If you are travelling to Europe in your vehicle please call our driver line at least a week in advance to obtain a VE103B and the green car insurance (mentioned below) for your vehicle.

New country sticker requirements

Cars with number plates with either the Euro and GB flags will no longer be sufficient for EU driving. Both the UK sticker and the EU flag are now needed. It’s not necessary to change number plates, a UK sticker will suffice and can be purchased from a number of outlets including Halfords and Amazon.co.uk. The sticker must be displayed on the rear of your car and any trailer before travel outside of the UK.

Taking a trailer away with you?

If you’re towing non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg, they will need to be registered through the Government Gateway before they can travel to or through most EU and EEA countries. Register to take your trailer abroad here: https://www.gov.uk/register-trailer-to-take-abroad

Hiring a car in the EU

If you’re hiring a car when you get to Europe, the rental firm may ask to see a digital record of your driving licence. You can get a free licence check code for this purpose from the DVLA website up to 21 days before your trip.

What else do I need to know?

Drivers should take extra care to adhere to EU rules when driving abroad. Different countries have certain requirements of what motorists need to have in their vehicle so we’d suggest you always check requirements beforehand for the country you’re visiting. For example, you need to have a warning triangle in your car as well as a reflective jacket and breathalyser kit when driving in France. The jacket must be kept in the car — not in the boot — because you are expected to be wearing it when stepping out of your vehicle in an emergency.

Some EU countries now have a legal requirement to show how polluting the car is, before you can drive into city centres. These can be bought from government websites and the cities they are required in are being updated regularly.

We’d recommend checking the gov.uk website and the RAC website: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/ before you travel to check any updated requirements.

Interested in finding out more?